In 2007, Doña Ana County employees donated more than 600 toys valued at more than $5,000 for distribution to children in five of the county’s most economically depressed communities.
The 2008 toy drive collected more than 1,000 toys, and the coordinators in the Doña Ana County Health and Human Services Department said they are delighted to have exceeded last year’s totals, both through employee donations and partnerships with outside agencies who participated.
All Doña Ana County employees in all departments were encouraged to participate. Names of children enrolled in the program are available each year from the Health and Human Services Department or by choosing a name from a departmental holiday tree on which the children’s names, ages and interests are printed on ‘ornaments.’
The suggested value of each gift was $20. Gifts will be wrapped by Health and Human Services Department staff in advance of the community events. The toys will be distributed at the following times and locations:
* Dec. 6: Doña Ana Community Center at 5745 Ledesma Dr., 1 to 3:30 p.m.
* Dec. 11: Rincon Community Center at 220 Baker St., 4 to 6:30 p.m.
* Dec. 13: Chaparral Community Center at 190 County Line Rd., 1 to 3:30 p.m.
* Dec. 18: Organ Community Center at 5880 Second St., 4 to 6:30 p.m.
* Dec. 20: Anthony Community Center at 625 Acosta Rd., 1 to 3:30 p.m.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
Reporters seeking more information or interviews may call county Public Information Director Jess Williams at (575) 525-5801.