Doña Ana County’s Health and Human Services Department will partner with local AmeriCorps Vista volunteers again in 2010 to coordinate the Fifth Annual Día del Niño celebrations, which will begin Saturday, April 10.
In 2009, more than 600 children attended events throughout Doña Ana County. The local events are based on the Día del Niño tradition celebrated throughout Latin America as a day to honor children and their roles in society.
Building on the success of the last five years, five events – in the communities of Doña Ana, Chaparral, Anthony, Rincon and Organ – will be staged to celebrate children and to provide a variety of enjoyable activities for them and their families.
The 2010 theme revolves around healthy eating and exercise for children throughout Doña Ana County.
The event schedule is as follows:
• Saturday, April 10, Noon to 3 p.m. at the Doña Ana Community Resource Center, 5745 Ledesma Dr.
• Friday, April 16, from 4-7 p.m. at the Chaparral Community Resource Center, 190 County Line Rd.
• Saturday, April 17, from Noon to 3 p.m. at the Anthony Community Resource Center, 625 Acosta Rd.
• Friday, April 23, from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Rincon Community Resource Center, 220 Baker St.
• Saturday, April 24, from Noon to 3 p.m. at the Organ Community Resource Center, 5880 Second St.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
Reporters seeking more information or interviews may call county Public Information Director Jess Williams at (575) 525-5801.