Doña Ana County

Frequently Asked Question

GIS context menu

Frequently Asked Question

About GIS

What is a GIS?

A GIS (Geographic Information System) is a combination of computer hardware and software, spatial data, and trained personnel that allows real world conditions to be mapped and analyzed. For example, a map can show features such as roads and rivers. A GIS can display (map) the features, and also highlight specific conditions such as "what roads in Doña Ana County are within 100 feet of the Rio Grande?"

What information is available in Doña Ana County's GIS?

Doña Ana County's GIS contains over one hundred seventy-five geodatabases (or "layers") of information including road centerlines, address points, political districts, jurisdictional boundaries, zoning and land use information, and property ownership information.

Where can I get maps or digital information from the County's GIS?

Contact the GIS Division* at 845 N. Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88007, (575) 525-5505. Nominal reprographic fees may apply.
* Note the tax parcel database is available from the Doña Ana County Assessors Office, 845 N. Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88007, (575) 647-7400.

What coordinate system does the County's GIS use?

New Mexico State Plane, Central, NAD83, units feet.

What software does the County's GIS use?

Doña Ana County uses ESRI software.

Addressing/Road Naming

Who do I talk to to name a road, change the name of a road, or get a street address?

Contact the County Addressing Specialist at 845 N. Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, NM 88007, (575) 647-7245.

How do I name a road?

Start by filling out a petition available at the Planning Department, 845 N. Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, NM 88007. County staff will explain the road naming procedure.

Can I name my road after myself?

No. County ordinances prohibit the use of certain names including family surnames and road names already in use in the County. The County Addressing Specialist can tell you if the proposed road name complies with the ordinances.

Can I change the name of a road?

Yes, but in order to change the name of a road, a minimum of 75% of property owners along the road must agree to changing the name. A road name can only be changed once every seven years.

If I get my mail at the Post Office, do I still need a street address?

Yes! Street addresses are used for many purposes, including emergency services dispatching, generating voter rolls, and package delivery. Street addresses can also be used for mail delivery (contact the US Post Office to see if mail delivery is available in your area and for zip code information).

If you have an issues with your address or road name.

If you need an address issued or a new street named then contact Carlos Benevides, Addressing Specialist at (575) 525-6122